Are old fillings toxic?

Are the fillings toxic? That is one of the great questions that many people presently attend the dentist. The topic of toxic fillings is another of the many myths with which oral health professionals struggle.

As you may know, fillings are that material that is applied to the surface of the teeth that have been previously punctured by the effect of decay. It is then a filling whose mission is to give the tooth its natural shape and allow it to continue exercising normally.

The great myth that exists, affirms that the old fillings were endowed with mercury. They were considered amalgam fillings, which are reportedly intoxicated. According to professional doctors, in fact amalgams are produced as a result of the merging of mercury with metals.

The era of composites

What happens in the case of oral health is that amalgams produced with silver are used. So in fact they do have mercury. But keep in mind that these toxic fillings have nothing to do with the resources used today.

The amalgams entered into extinction with the arrival of the composites. To adjust the European Union itself, it was in charge of establishing a ban in 2018 so that toxic fillings were not used in pregnant women, or those that are infants.

This regulation also applies to not be used in people under 15 years. However, it is also claimed that old toxic fillings cannot be used in general in adults. It is clearly a legislation that seeks to protect people from the toxic effects of mercury.

The level of mercury is not enough to be toxic

What happened then with the whole generation of people who came to the use of toxic fillings? How could they survive a toxic as strong as mercury represents? The explanation for this phenomenon is that the level of mercury present in the amalgam is not considered as toxic.

There are many studies that have proven that there is no risk of poisoning or loss of life under the effect of an old filling. The possibility of intoxication is quite low, if not zero. However, for prevention, it was decided to discard its use in the oral world, being replaced by composites.

Nowadays, it should be taken into account that if a person has old toxic fillings, it is not recommended at all to carry out the removal of fillings that are in a healthy state. This is because the vapor that amalgam gives off could be really toxic to the dentist who is responsible for removing them.

A demystified myth

The prohibition of making use of toxic fillings not only goes in favor of patients, but also takes into account the integrity of the people who would enter to handle such material. So in conclusion, taking into account innovation in oral health, it can be said that toxic fillings are a thing of the past.

This myth is one of the many that dentists must face today. In fact, much of the abstention to the visit of these professionals is also based on similar fears. There is a whole imaginary about oral health with which it is currently struggling.

One of the most curious is precisely the idea that chewing gum is a perfect alternative to eliminate bacteria from the mouth. It is argued that this edible has the same function as a good brush. Behind this myth, the only thing that really exists is a good marketing strategy by the gum marketing companies.

Only offers a 10% cleaning of aggressive bacteria

Recent studies have proven that chewing gum can clean certain aggressive bacteria in the mouth. But its impact is not as strong as what you would get if you went to dental floss. Statistics state that chewing gum only cleans 10% of the bacteria in your mouth.

A good part of this cleaning that the chewing gum achieves is due to the same salivation that the mouth generates before the consumption of the gum. When you start to chew constantly, your brain believes that you are feeding and begins to produce saliva so that the food has a better facility to be digested and treated by the digestive system.

So the effect is largely due to the same excessive salivation that remains in your mouth and not as a result of the chemical agents that were integrated into the gum. If you really want to sanitize your mouth, it is best to go to dental floss and brushing, which manages to clean your mouth by 90%.

Tags :